Payables Management (CPE Course)
CPE Credit: 10 hours
Course Type: Downloaded PDF materials with online test
Price (with PDF Textbook): $67
Proper management of the accounts payable function calls for a comprehensive knowledge of transaction flows, controls, and the latest technology. This course delves into these topics in detail, addressing the accounting for each type of payables transaction, control systems, use taxes, payables fraud, record keeping, unclaimed property reporting, measurement systems, and more.
Author: Steven Bragg
Course Number: AC1077
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Overview of Payables
Chapter 2. Invoice Processing
Chapter 3. Types of Payments
Chapter 4. Expense Reimbursement
Chapter 5. Procurement Cards
Chapter 6. Use Taxes
Chapter 7. Finance Issues
Chapter 8. Accounting for Payables
Chapter 9. Closing Payables
Chapter 10. Department Management
Chapter 11. Payables Controls
Chapter 12. Payables Fraud
Chapter 13. Payables Technology
Chapter 14. Payables Record Keeping
Chapter 15. Government Reporting
Chapter 16. Unclaimed Property
Chapter 17. Cost Recovery
Chapter 18. Payables Measurements
- Recognize the types of transaction cycles, as well as the effects of the different organizational structures.
- Note the effects of the matching concept and the use of adjustment documents in invoice processing.
- Identify the types of payments, their advantages, and when they are used.
- Note the exclusions from expense reports.
- Recognize the steps used in the reconciliation of a procurement card statement.
- Identify the parties involved in remitting sales and use taxes.
- Identify the concepts under which supply chain financing is offered to suppliers.
- Note how accounting software applies information when an invoice is recorded.
- Note how accrued expenses are calculated.
- Identify the types of process improvements, as well as the methods used to improve the layout of a department.
- Recognize the controls used for invoice processing, recurring payments, expense reports, procurement cards, and petty cash.
- Identify the types of fraud that can apply to payables.
- Cite the impacts and features of the different types of payables technology.
- Identify the fields used in the vendor master file, and the methods used to derive supplier identification numbers.
- Note the uses of the Form 1099 copies.
- Identify the fields used in the Form 1099.
- Note the situations in which backup withholding is not required.
- Recognize the rules under which unclaimed property is sent to the applicable state government.
- Note the processes related to unclaimed property.
- Note the areas in which cost recovery efforts can yield a significant return.
- Cite the situations in which certain payables measurements can yield incorrect or skewed results.
Instructional Method: QAS Self-Study
NASBA Category: Accounting
Advance Preparation: None
Program Registration Requirements: Click on "Purchase Course" near the top of this page to pay for and access the course. You will then be able to download the course as a PDF file, then take an on-line examination, and then download a certificate of completion if you pass the examination.
Program Refund Policy: For more information regarding administrative policies concerning complaints, refunds, and other matters, see our policies page.
AccountingTools, Inc. is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have the final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.nasbaregistry.org.
The NASBA sponsor identification number for Accountingtools, Inc. is 115881.
AccountingTools is an IRS Approved Continuing Education Provider. We are compliant with the requirements for continuing education providers (as described in sections 10.6 and 10.9 of the Department of Treasury’s Circular No. 230 and in other IRS guidance, forms, and instructions). Our IRS Approved Continuing Education Provider number is 72821.