Records Management (CPE Course)
CPE Credit: 3 hours
Course Type: Downloaded PDF materials with online test
Price (with PDF Textbook): $30
A business can reduce its costs and enhance its performance when there is a well-organized records management system in place. Records Management is an essential guide for developing and maintaining such a system. It does so by covering the record life cycle, record formats, and the concept of information governance. The course then delves into the use of alphabetic storage, numeric storage, and geographic storage, along with many records management best practices and a discussion of records retention. The course concludes with coverage of electronic records management, including such topics as the different types of electronic media, record safety, and the mitigation of catastrophic record damage.
Author: Steven Bragg
Course Number: BM1003
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Records Management Overview
Chapter 2. Record Storage Systems
Chapter 3. Elements of a Records Management System
Chapter 4. Electronic Records Management
- Identify the different types of records.
- Note the different components of a records management system.
- Recognize the steps used to store a record under the alphabetic storage system.
- Recall the rules that apply to sorting and cross-referencing names.
- Note the characteristics of the different types of record storage systems.
- Identify the characteristics of the different types of record storage equipment and supplies.
- Recall the forms and logs used in a records management system.
- Identify the criteria used to retain records for differing periods of time.
- Note the methods used to optimize a directory structure.
- Recognize the types of metadata that may be associated with a record.
Instructional Method: QAS Self-Study
NASBA Category: Business Management & Organization
Advance Preparation: None
Program Registration Requirements: Click on "Purchase Course" near the top of this page to pay for and access the course. You will then be able to download the course as a PDF file, then take an on-line examination, and then download a certificate of completion if you pass the examination.
Program Refund Policy: For more information regarding administrative policies concerning complaints, refunds, and other matters, see our policies page.
AccountingTools, Inc. is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have the final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.nasbaregistry.org.
The NASBA sponsor identification number for Accountingtools, Inc. is 115881.
AccountingTools is an IRS Approved Continuing Education Provider. We are compliant with the requirements for continuing education providers (as described in sections 10.6 and 10.9 of the Department of Treasury’s Circular No. 230 and in other IRS guidance, forms, and instructions). Our IRS Approved Continuing Education Provider number is 72821.