The Year-End Close (CPE Course)
CPE Credit: 3 hours
Course Type: Downloaded PDF materials with online test
Price (with PDF Textbook): $30
This course notes the actions to be taken to close the books at the end of the fiscal year, as well as other activities required at the end of the calendar year. There is a particular emphasis on several major areas of accounting, including receivables, inventory, fixed assets, payables, and payroll. Additional tasks required for the year-end close of a publicly held company are also described.
Author: Steven Bragg
Course Number: AC1090
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. The Year-End Close
Chapter 2. Receivables Year-End
Chapter 3. Inventory Year-End
Chapter 4. Fixed Assets Year-End
Chapter 5. Payables Year-End
Chapter 6. Payroll Year-End
Chapter 7. Public Company Year-End
Chapter 8. The Closing Checklist
- Recognize the staffing policies needed to ensure that there are sufficient staff on hand to complete the year-end close.
- Identify the activities involved in archiving accounting documents.
- Note the steps involved in the construction of the annual budget.
- Identify the contents of the year-end binder.
- Recognize the situations in which a soft close is more likely to result in financial statement errors.
- Note how to verify the reasonableness of the balance in the allowance for doubtful accounts.
- Recognize the tasks involved in the year-end examination of open jobs.
- Identify the evaluation criteria stated in the lower of cost or market rule.
- Note the methods used to recognize fixed assets reclassified out of the held-for-sale classification, and fixed assets that have been abandoned.
- Note the distribution of the Form 1099-MISC, as well as how the form is to be completed.
- Identify the trigger that causes a change in the experience rating assigned by a government.
- Recognize the role of EDGARizing in the year-end close.
- Note the steps required for the preparation of financial statements.
Instructional Method: QAS Self-Study
NASBA Category: Accounting
Advance Preparation: None
Program Registration Requirements: Click on "Purchase Course" near the top of this page to pay for and access the course. You will then be able to download the course as a PDF file, then take an on-line examination, and then download a certificate of completion if you pass the examination.
Program Refund Policy: For more information regarding administrative policies concerning complaints, refunds, and other matters, see our policies page.
AccountingTools, Inc. is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have the final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.nasbaregistry.org.
The NASBA sponsor identification number for Accountingtools, Inc. is 115881.
AccountingTools is an IRS Approved Continuing Education Provider. We are compliant with the requirements for continuing education providers (as described in sections 10.6 and 10.9 of the Department of Treasury’s Circular No. 230 and in other IRS guidance, forms, and instructions). Our IRS Approved Continuing Education Provider number is 72821.