The Balance Sheet (CPE Course)
CPE Credit: 2 hours
Course Type: Downloaded PDF materials with online test
Price (with PDF Textbook): $20
The balance sheet reveals the financial position of a business, and so should be properly prepared in order to maximize the amount of information conveyed to users. This course assists the accountant by noting the various presentation formats that can be used, as well as the content and description of each line item within the statement. It also discusses sample balance sheets from several publicly-held companies, in order to show the range of presentation possibilities.
Author: Steven Bragg
Course Number: AC1115
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Overview of the Balance Sheet
Chapter 2. Asset Line Items on the Balance Sheet
Chapter 3. Liability Line Items on the Balance Sheet
Chapter 4. Equity Line Items on the Balance Sheet
Chapter 5. The Statement of Retained Earnngs
Chapter 6. Balance Sheet Ratio Analysis
- Identify which assets are usually classified as current or long-term on the balance sheet.
- Note which liabilities are usually classified a current or long-term on the balance sheet.
- Recognize the steps required to manually construct a balance sheet.
- Note the types of assets that can be classified into each of the major asset categories.
- Recognize the different types of liabilities that may appear on the balance sheet.
- Cite the decision points related to how a loan should be classified if the lender can call the loan.
- Describe the proper presentation of each equity line item on the balance sheet.
- Describe the structure of the statement of retained earnings.
- Note the instances in which different balance sheet ratios may apply to a business.
Instructional Method: QAS Self-Study
NASBA Category: Accounting
Advance Preparation: None
Program Registration Requirements: Click on "Purchase Course" near the top of this page to pay for and access the course. You will then be able to download the course as a PDF file, then take an on-line examination, and then download a certificate of completion if you pass the examination.
Program Refund Policy: For more information regarding administrative policies concerning complaints, refunds, and other matters, see our policies page.
AccountingTools, Inc. is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have the final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.nasbaregistry.org.
The NASBA sponsor identification number for Accountingtools, Inc. is 115881.
AccountingTools is an IRS Approved Continuing Education Provider. We are compliant with the requirements for continuing education providers (as described in sections 10.6 and 10.9 of the Department of Treasury’s Circular No. 230 and in other IRS guidance, forms, and instructions). Our IRS Approved Continuing Education Provider number is 72821.