Payroll Management (CPE Course)
CPE Credit: 14 hours
Course Type: Downloaded PDF materials with online test
Price (with PDF Textbook): $93
This course shows the accountant how to improve the functions of the payroll department, enhancing efficiency and reducing error rates. Topics covered include time tracking, payroll processing, procedures, controls, and recordkeeping. The course also addresses the United States payroll regulations and reporting requirements related to compensation, benefits, payroll taxes, and tax remittances. It is updated annually for the latest payroll regulations. Payroll Management is ideal for anyone new to payroll, or who wants to enhance an existing system.
Author: Steven Bragg
Course Number: AC1079
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Payroll Management
Chapter 2. Definition of an Employee
Chapter 3. Employee Time Tracking
Chapter 4. Employee Compensation
Chapter 5. Employee Benefits
Chapter 6. Payroll Deductions
Chapter 7. Payroll Taxes
Chapter 8. Tax Remittances
Chapter 9. Unemployment Taxes
Chapter 10. Payments to Employees
Chapter 11. Accounting for Payroll
Chapter 12. Payroll Reports
Chapter 13. Payroll Recordkeeping
Chapter 14. Payroll Procedures
Chapter 15. Payroll Controls
Chapter 16. Payroll Measurements
Chapter 17. The Outsourcing Option
Appendix. Federal Payroll Tax Calendar
- Cite the types of payroll systems, and note how payroll confidentiality is maintained.
- Note the circumstances under which someone is defined as an employee, and how an employee designation impacts the applicability of payroll taxes.
- Identify the circumstances under which different time tracking methodologies are most useful.
- Note the methods under which compensation is calculated for employees.
- Cite the tax treatment of various types of benefits.
- State the types of deductions from pay, and why they are used.
- Recognize the methods for paying payroll taxes.
- State the methods and related rules under which a business remits payroll taxes to the government.
- Note how unemployment taxes are calculated.
- Identify how payments to employees are made, and the forms used to do so.
- Note where payroll transactions are recorded in the accounting records, and how payroll accruals are used.
- Define the contents of the various payroll reports, and the circumstances under which these reports are issued.
- State the forms used to update payroll events, when these forms should be used, and where they are stored.
- Itemize the key steps involved in payroll activities.
- Note the types of reports run as part of payroll processing.
- Cite the actions taken to maintain control over the payroll function, and note the types of controls that can be used.
- Identify the more common payroll measurements, and note how they can be calculated and why they are used.
- Note the responsibilities of the parties to an outsourcing arrangement, and the negotiation points for this arrangement.
Instructional Method: QAS Self-Study
NASBA Category: Accounting
Advance Preparation: None
Program Registration Requirements: Click on "Purchase Course" near the top of this page to pay for and access the course. You will then be able to download the course as a PDF file, then take an on-line examination, and then download a certificate of completion if you pass the examination.
Program Refund Policy: For more information regarding administrative policies concerning complaints, refunds, and other matters, see our policies page.
AccountingTools, Inc. is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have the final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.nasbaregistry.org.
The NASBA sponsor identification number for Accountingtools, Inc. is 115881.
AccountingTools is an IRS Approved Continuing Education Provider. We are compliant with the requirements for continuing education providers (as described in sections 10.6 and 10.9 of the Department of Treasury’s Circular No. 230 and in other IRS guidance, forms, and instructions). Our IRS Approved Continuing Education Provider number is 72821.