Business Combinations and Consolidations (CPE Course)
CPE Credit: 3 hours
Course Type: Downloaded PDF materials with online test
Price (with PDF Textbook): $30
This course describes the accounting for business combinations, including the identification of goodwill, reverse acquisitions, and disclosures. The course also notes how to account for a reduced investment in an investee using the equity method. The course goes on to discuss goodwill impairment, the consolidation of financial statements, and the steps involved in integrating accounting activities following a business combination.
Author: Steven Bragg
Course Number: AC1082
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Business Combinations
Chapter 2. The Equity Method
Chapter 3. Goodwill Impairment
Chapter 4. Financial Statement Consolidation
Chapter 5. Accounting Integration
- Identify the circumstances under which step and reverse acquisitions occur.
- Note the calculations required to determine the amount of ownership in an investee under the equity method.
- Recognize the situations in which impairment testing is to be conducted, and when goodwill amortization can be used.
- Identify the situations in which a controlling financial interest cannot be determined, as well as the types of eliminations used when conducting a consolidation.
- Recognize the actions needed to centralize accounting activities following a business combination.
Instructional Method: QAS Self-Study
NASBA Category: Accounting
Advance Preparation: None
Program Registration Requirements: Click on "Purchase Course" near the top of this page to pay for and access the course. You will then be able to download the course as a PDF file, then take an on-line examination, and then download a certificate of completion if you pass the examination.
Program Refund Policy: For more information regarding administrative policies concerning complaints, refunds, and other matters, see our policies page.
AccountingTools, Inc. is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have the final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.nasbaregistry.org.
The NASBA sponsor identification number for Accountingtools, Inc. is 115881.
AccountingTools is an IRS Approved Continuing Education Provider. We are compliant with the requirements for continuing education providers (as described in sections 10.6 and 10.9 of the Department of Treasury’s Circular No. 230 and in other IRS guidance, forms, and instructions). Our IRS Approved Continuing Education Provider number is 72821.