Quality at the source means that each employee is held responsible for ensuring the quality of products. This is accomplished with the following tools:
- Mistake proofing. Delve into the causes of poor quality and correct the underlying issues, so that they do not occur again.
- Self checks. Allow workers to measure the specifications of their work, and call for help if units are out of spec.
- Standardized work. Use a high level of documentation and training to ensure that each product is manufactured the same way, every time.
- Successive checks. Each successive workstation checks the quality of the incoming work.
- Visual management. Use a signaling system to pull engineers and managers to the spot where there is a problem, so that it can be corrected at once.