Accounting Controls Guidebook (CPE Course)
CPE Credit: 12 hours
Course Type: Downloaded PDF materials with online test
Price (with PDF Textbook): $80
The Accounting Controls Guidebook reveals the controls you need for every accounting system, from billings to financial reporting, in addition to such operational areas as order processing, shipping, and receiving. Controls are separately stated for manual and computerized accounting systems. The course also addresses types of controls, control principles, the proper balance of control systems, and how to construct a system of controls. There are review questions and answers at the end of every chapter.
Author: Steven Bragg
Course Number: AC1088
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. The Controls Environment
Chapter 2. Order Entry Controls
Chapter 3. Credit Controls
Chapter 4. Shipping Controls
Chapter 5. Customer Billing Controls
Chapter 6. Collection Controls
Chapter 7. Cash Receipts Controls
Chapter 8. Purchasing Controls
Chapter 9. Accounts Payable Controls
Chapter 10. Expense Report Controls
Chapter 11. Procurement Card Controls
Chapter 12. Petty Cash Controls
Chapter 13. Receiving Controls
Chapter 14. Payroll Controls
Chapter 15. Fixed Asset Controls
Chapter 16. Treasury Controls
Chapter 17. Financial Reporting Controls
Chapter 18. Other Controls
- Cite the situations in which controls can be avoided or must be installed, and note the nature of the best controls.
- Note the process steps and controls that can be inserted into the order entry process.
- Identify the procedure steps and controls used to process customer requests for credit.
- State the controls used to deal with sales orders, drop shipments, back orders, and merchandise returns.
- Cite the controls used in the computerized and manual issuance of invoices to customers.
- Cite the controls that can be used to provide structure to the collections process.
- State the controls associated with the receipt, recordation, and deposit of cash and checks.
- Identify the different types of controls that can provide structure to the purchasing function.
- State the controls that can be assigned to supplier invoice recordation and payments.
- Note the controls that can be inserted into the processing of employee expense reports.
- Identify the controls needed to provide a secure environment for the use of procurement cards.
- Note the steps in the petty cash process flow, how petty cash can be replaced, and the controls that can be instituted for petty cash.
- Recognize the controls used in the receiving area.
- Define the activities needed to create a proper payroll control environment, and note the indicators of payroll fraud.
- Recognize the controls used to safeguard fixed assets.
- State the controls used for cash forecasting, funds transfers, stock issuances, and collateral monitoring.
- Cite the process steps and controls that can be integrated into the period-end closing process, construction of financial statements, and chart of accounts.
- Note the controls that can be applied to the budgeting process and the monitoring of a project.
Instructional Method: QAS Self-Study
NASBA Category: Accounting
Prerequisites: General knowledge of the accounting for sales, payables, payroll, and fixed assets, as well as the production of financial statements.
Advance Preparation: None
Program Registration Requirements: Click on "Purchase Course" near the top of this page to pay for and access the course. You will then be able to download the course as a PDF file, then take an on-line examination, and then download a certificate of completion if you pass the examination.
Program Refund Policy: For more information regarding administrative policies concerning complaints, refunds, and other matters, see our policies page.
AccountingTools, Inc. is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have the final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.nasbaregistry.org.
The NASBA sponsor identification number for Accountingtools, Inc. is 115881.
AccountingTools is an IRS Approved Continuing Education Provider. We are compliant with the requirements for continuing education providers (as described in sections 10.6 and 10.9 of the Department of Treasury’s Circular No. 230 and in other IRS guidance, forms, and instructions). Our IRS Approved Continuing Education Provider number is 72821.