The accounting staff must deal with a veritable blizzard of information, which comes from many sources for such requirements as payroll, accounts payable, and billings. The complexity of this information flow may be duplicated at the division level, if there is not a centralized accounting system for the entire business. A severe detractor from the efficiency of the accounting department is caused by this complexity, for users must continually access different databases and files, requiring an unending stream of different logins for each one. There may be instances where it is even necessary to switch to a different computer in order to access certain information.
Generally, information can be centralized in order to streamline the process of accessing this information. At a minimum level of effort, bookmarks can be used in Web browsers to access the more heavily-used websites. However, doing so does not improve the access to data stored within the business.
An approach that yields a higher level of efficiency is to itemize a number of links to internal and external information on a single web page. Employees can use it to easily access such information as:
- The on-line invoicing forms of customers
- The database of current employees
- The current employee manual
- Various standard forms in PDF format
- The online user changes form for the human resources database
- The online user changes form for the payroll database
- The online signup form for the 401k plan
- Access to the company's credit card provider
- Access to the company's credit report provider
- The company's online database of employee remittance advices
- Access to the company's flexible spending account provider
- Access to the corporate timekeeping system
Though useful, this concentration of links still does not assist users in logging in and out of the various systems. Doing so calls for a more complex system that requires a single user login, which then automatically logs users in and out of all internal systems as needed. The end result is a much more seamless user experience which, cumulatively, saves a notable amount of employee time.